Split Pea, Roasted Butternut and Coconut Curry
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Roast butternut in a roasting tray, drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 30-45 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- Sauté the onion in a pot with a little olive oil until soft, then add the garlic, ginger and spices. Cook for a minute or two until aromatic.
- Add the split peas, chopped tomatoes, salt, sugar, water and coconut milk to the pot.
- Cook on a low heat for about 30-40 minutes until the split peas are tender.
- Toast the coconut flakes on a small tray in the oven till slightly golden, watching that they don’t burn.
- Serve the curry topped with the roasted butternut, toasted coconut and fresh coriander as garnish.