Red Lentil Dhal with Sweet Potatoes
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- Fry the onions and sweet potato in a large pot with a little oil till onions are soft.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin, chilli, cinnamon, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for another few minutes before adding the rinsed red lentils, coconut milk and water.
- Cook on a medium to low heat with the lid on until the lentils are tender, 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring while cooking so the lentils don’t stick.
- Fry the Rotis with some butter and serve with the Dhal and fresh coriander.
- Make the starter in bulk, so that it is ready for your breakfast porridge or ting. Keep starter in the fridge so that it does not go sour especially in summer. In winter place in a warm area i.e. next to the window.