Mabele with uMfino Pap
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and fry spring onions and garlic. Add cabbage, spinach and sweet potatoes, toss to mix and fry for 10 minutes or until wilted.
- Pour in water and chicken stock into vegetables, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until vegetables are soft about 10 minutes.
- Add Mabele meal, using a wooden spoon stir until well mixed. Season to taste. Cover and cook over gentle heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve; spoon into a mould or small mixing bowl and turn out onto a serving plate or simply spoon onto a plate, serve immediately with a vegetarian or meat stew.
- For a different taste sensation, substitute sweet potatoes with turnips.
- Enhance the flavour by adding a cup of grated cheddar cheese at the end of cooking time.