Mabele Porridge Topped with Nectarines and Almonds
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- Mix Mabele meal with a bit of cold water to form a paste. Bring milk to a simmer, add salt, gradually add Mabele paste, stir with a whisk or lefehlo making sure no lumps form.
- Add desiccated coconut and jam, mix well and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve porridge warm, topped with softened peaches and almonds.
- To soften the nectarines; in a large bowl, combine peaches, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Toss until the nectarines are evenly coated in the sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Other topping ideas: chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, diced fresh fruit or dried fruit of your choice.
- Use any type of peaches instead of nectarines.