Mabele Flapjacks with Crispy Bacon
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- In a bowl combine Mabele meal, cake flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and salt. In a jug mix egg, butter and buttermilk, add to dry ingredients and mix well into a pouring consistency.
- Lightly grease a frying pan and heat to medium heat. Drop spoonful of batter into pan.
- When bubbles form on top and the mixture is no longer runny, turn flapjacks and cook through - 3 minutes per side.
- Grill bacon strips until crisp. Serve flapjacks stacked and topped with a spoonful of crème fraiche, drizzle with sweet chili sauce, top with bacon and sprinkle with fresh herbs of your choice.
- Substitute crème fraiche with sour cream or yoghurt.
- For a sweet version; top flapjacks with fruits in season i.e. a variety of berries, diced peaches, apricots, pineapple or pears. Drizzle with maple or golden syrup.