Mabele Breakfast Porridge with Ground Nuts and Cream
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- To make soft porridge; mix fine Mabele meal with cold water to make a paste.
- Bring water to the boil add salt, gradually whisk in the Mabele paste, whisking continuously until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, ground peanuts, thick cream and cinnamon (if using).
- Serve porridge hot, topped with chopped nuts, fruit and a drizzle of honey.
- Use crunchy peanut butter instead of crushed peanuts.
- Drizzle the porridge with golden or maples syrup instead of honey.