Herb Barley Casserole with Chicken and Spinach
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Dust the chicken with the flour and fry the chicken in the oil until brown. Once browned, take out and set aside.
- Sauté the onions, cabbage, carrots and barley till the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the stock and salt to taste together with the water. Cook with a lid on for 20-30 minutes until the barley is tender.
- While the barley casserole is cooking, mix the crumbs with the butter and fresh herbs. Bake on a small baking tray until crispy, about 5-10 minutes, but keep an eye on them as they can burn.
- Once the barley is cooked, add the cooked chicken pieces back into the pot along with the baby spinach. Cook for 5 minutes until chicken has warmed through and the spinach is wilted.
- Serve the chicken casserole topped with the crispy crumble.