Banana Flavoured Mageu (Non-Alcoholic)
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Mix maize malt with a little cold water to make a paste.
- Add paste to the boiling water and stir to mix, using a whisk.
- Turn down heat and simmer gently, stirring constantly until cooked. Allow to cool.
- Add flour and sugar to mixture, mix well and leave to stand for at least 3 days.
- After 3 days taste to see whether the mixture is sour. If not leave it to stand for another day.
- Add mashed bananas and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.
- For a different flavor, add mashed or pureed fruit of your choice i.e. pineapple, guava or peaches
- For thinner Mageu dilute with water.
- Always keep Mageu refrigerated.