4-in-1 Chicken Soup
Iam so bad at taking fruits in my everyday diet and always wish to have it in any form. Just that I will not spend time to include fruits. Instead I crave for breakfasts like upma, idli, dosa etc. As long as portion control is in check. But I don’t. That’s another story about my consistency and discipline in my eating habit. I wish I change it, it’s high time. Recently I wanted to use up my rolled oats I have at home and also wanted to give it a try for smoothies. Should start replacing my high carb breakfasts with such smoothies. Let me see how it goes. This year my eating habit has been very bad with so much inconsistency as well as not balanced meal. I hope adding sorghum, a whole grain which adds a hearty, nutty flavor will give me the kick I need.
- Make up the chicken stock and place in a large pot. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the soup mix. Cook the soup mix on medium heat until soft and tender, roughly 20-30 minutes. Add a little more water if you see that the pot is a little dry during the cooking time. Once the soup mix is tender, add the chicken breasts to the same pot. Poach for 8 minutes in the stock soup mix liquid.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the liquid and leave to cool. Keep the soup mix pot on slow simmer.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions, carrots and celery for 5 minutes until starting to caramelise and becoming fragrant. Add the crushed garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add this to the soup mix pot and stir to combine.
- Shred the cooled chicken breasts, using 2 forks and add to the soup and vegetable pot. Stir to combine and warm through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped parsley and serve immediately.